Reverend Gregory established a drawing school in the parish schoolroom in Princes Road (now known as Black Prince Road). This was the founding of the Lambeth School of Art.
John Sparkes is made the Art Master, he discusses the possibility of the students becoming involved in the decoration of Doulton pottery. Sparkes was one of the most important teachers of the time, going on to become the first head of South Kensington Art School which became the Royal College of Art. Sparkes also taught at Dulwich College and wrote the first catalogue of works for the Dulwich Picture Gallery.
Henry Doulton agreed with John Sparkes request to allow students to use their fine art skills on the ceramics. A period of experimentation took place. This was the first example in the world of manufactured art pottery.
An early student was William Anderson Surgeon and Anatomist. His collection of Japanese art was the best in the world at the time and formed the major part of the British Museum collection. He was the Hunterian fellow of Surgery and Professor of Anatomy to the Royal Academy.
The success of the art school meant that new larger premises had to be found. The Prince of Wales laid the foundation stones as the Art School moved to new purpose built premises in Millers Lane (now known as St Oswald’s Place). A new Church (St Peters), an orphanage, a boys and girls school and the Art School were all part of the same development on a plot of land on the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens.
Walter William Ouless is a student. He goes on to become a renowned portrait painter under the guidance of Millais. Painted, amongst others, the portraits of Charles Darwin and Thomas Hardy.
Paris Exhibition – Doulton shows experimental pieces by students to great acclaim. The importance of this cannot be underestimated as the developing work by the painters and sculptors of the Art School on Doulton Ware became more and more sought after, passing into Royal collections. The students’ work became leading examples of influence on Art Nouveau.
London Exhibition – The new range of art pottery was so successful that Doulton extended his support for the students, converting cottages in the pottery grounds into studios, acknowledging the symbiotic relationship between the School and the Pottery. Amongst those moving in to work in the studios were George Tinworth who became one of the leading Doulton Sculptors, later going on to teach at the art school. Also, Bessie Youatt, Elizabeth Fisher, Eliza Simmance, and three members of one family Arthur, Hannah and Florence Barlow. Also Robert Wallace Martin studied at the art school alongside his brothers Walter Martin and Edwin Martin, they later produced the famous Martin Ware at their ceramics workshop in the true spirit of the Arts and Crafts Movement.
By the 1890’s Lambeth Pottery was employing over 200 artists and designers from the Art School, many of whom were women, going on to be exhibited at the South Kensington Exhibitions of 1872. Some of these artists were later responsible for the architectural fittings and decoration on landmark buildings such as Harrods in Knightsbridge, the Savoy Hotel and Selfridges.
As a result of the Paris Commune, Dalou is exiled to London.
Vincent Van Gogh moves to Lambeth, it is possible that he attended drawing sessions at the art school.
Morris & Co – Arts and Crafts is established
Gladstone makes an impassioned speech at Greenwich in November calling for London’s Livery Companies to not only have dinners once a year, once a quarter or once a month but to fulfill the purpose for which they were founded. He demanded they assist the Government in educating and training.
Doulton Art Pottery wins Gold Medals at the Philadelphia Centenary Exhibition of 1876, the Chicago Exhibition of 1893 and the Great Paris Exhibition of 1900.
Christopher Dresser, Britain’s leading Silversmith and designer, described the relationship between the Art School and Doulton as the first example of the artist controlling the manufacturer. This was of course seen as important in relation to William Morris who was also following Ruskin’s call for the Hand and the Individual to re enter the world of manufacture and design.
Stanhope Forbes is a student. He later went on to found the Newlyn School in Cornwall, the precursor of the St Ives movement.
Dalou taught at the art school. He was a huge influence on the new generation of sculptors in Britain. “The New Sculpture” blended sculpture and architecture and gave high priority to both traditional craft and new industrial idioms. A number of students went to work for Rodin in Paris because of Dalou’s friendship with him.
William Frith a former student at Millers Lane, returned as teaching assistant to Dalou and later became Head of Sculpture until 1895. He assisted John Sparkes in the move of the Art School to its extension in Kennington Park Road, the current site.
Sixteen Livery companies have raised £11,582 10s and the City & Guilds of London Institute (not officially registered until 1880) was in a position to demonstrate its sense of purpose by spending some money on the extension to the Art School in Kennington Park Road. F W Pomeroy studies under Dalou and Frith. He went on to make the figures on the side of Vauxhall Bridge.
Charles Dickens' Dictionary of London discusses Lambeth School of Art.
City & Guilds of London Institute makes its very first move, following Gladstone’s speech, in acquiring Lambeth Art School. The success of the art school as a training ground for artists and craftsmen and its relationship with Lambeth Doulton made it a model that the newly formed Institute wished to uphold as an example of excellence. Numbers 122 and 125 Kennington Park Road were rented as new premises and four new studios are built in the garden. The new name for the art school is South London School of Technical Art.
Harry Bates student - went on to study under Rodin in Paris.
George Frampton studied at the Art School and went on to exhibit with the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society in 1893. His most popular work is the sculpture of Peter Pan in Hyde Park.
Beginning of Art Nouveau for which the art school is credited as a major influence
Charles Shannon and Charles Ricketts meet as students. Both became well known illustrators and established Vale Press. They collaborated to illustrate and publish all of Oscar Wildes books.
William Gascombe John studied under William Burges at Cardiff Castle before coming to London to study. He later worked under Rodin in Paris and won the Gold Medal in the Paris Salon in 1901.
Arthur Rackham is a student –The leading children’s story illustrator of the Golden Age of Illustration.
Frederick Henry Townsend is a student. He was an illustrator who became the first Art Editor of Punch Magazine.
Hermann Muthesius ‘cultural spy’ is sent to London by the Prussian Government as Cultural Ambassador. He spends his time visiting and writing about all English Culture. He also makes study of Art Schools and their relation with education and industry as in the relation to art pottery and industry. There is a record of a gentlemen from the German Government making a research visit to the art school. It is believed that this was Hermann Muthesius. He went on to reform the German art education model employing artists as teachers and linking artistic individual creativity with industry and production, leading to Peter Behrens, Hans Poelzig and Bruno Paul’s reforming of the art Academies of Dusseldorf, Breslau and Berlin. Out of these reforms grew the German Werkbund comprising of 12 representatives of leading handicraft companies and artists. One of the members was Walter Gropius who went on to become Director of the Bauhaus. That the Art School could have been influential on one of the major art movements of the 20th century may seem hard to believe. However it has to be realised that at the time the art school was one of the most important training centres of leading artists that linked into Industry, Art and Architecture. The training was through drawing and observation into creative design and making.
Tate Gallery opens.
Glyn Philpot is a student, one of the most controversial and financially successful portrait painters of his generation. In 1985 there was a major retrospective of his work at the National Portrait Gallery. He was taught by Phillip Connard, whose prize is still awarded at the art school.
Whitechapel Art Gallery opens.
Alongside painting, sculpture, drawing, printmaking and modelling, Letter Cutting in stone and wood is introduced .
Eric Kennington attended the art school. He became 1st WW War Artist and accompanied T E Lawrence to Arabia where he illustrated The Seven Pillars of Wisdom.
1914—1918 First World War
The City and Guilds Institute purchase the freeholds of 122 and 124 Kennington Park Road.
The school was re-named The City and Guilds of London Institute Kennington and Lambeth Art School. 118 and 119 Kennington Park Road were purchased by the City and Guilds Institute and an extension was built in the gardens.