Student Loans

Alongside Grants and Financial Assistance, students studying on the BA and MA Fine Art courses, BA and MA Conservation courses and BA and MA Historic Carving courses may be eligible to apply for Student Loans while those studying on the PGDip Carving course may be able to take out a Professional and Career Development Loan


If you are a UK national and studying your first Honours degree with the Art School you are most likely eligible for support from the Student Loan Company (SLC). Student loans can cover maintenance as well as up to £6,165 of your fees.

You can apply for a Postgraduate Loan if you start a full-time or part-time master’s degree course, and don’t already have a master’s degree or higher qualification. This will allow you to borrow up to £10,000 to pay your fees and help with living costs. For further information see


Did you know, you are not required to start repaying your student loan or postgraduate loan until your annual earnings reach £18,330 or more? When repayments begin, you only need to pay the equivalent of 9% of any earnings over and above £18,330.

As an example, on a salary of £29,000, the first £18,330 is ignored, so you only pay 9% of the £10,670 remaining, amounting to £720 in a year. For more examples, see this student loan repayment calculator.

For many alumni, the required repayments do not need to start for years after graduation giving them time to establish their careers. And because of the generous number of grants and financial assistance we are able to offer our students, many of our alumni graduate with a smaller debt than the average graduate in the UK. Here you can find a really useful tool that will calculate the potential total repayments in relation to the amount of your loan, your career prospects and interest rates.

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland each have different repayment terms. For full information on the current repayment thresholds, write-off periods and interest rates applicable, check out the Student Loan Company guide Repaying Your Student Loan.



Further information on all aspects of student funding is available at:  and for residents of England, for residents of Scotland, for residents of Wales, and for residents of Northern Ireland.

If you are a student from another EU /EEA country and have been a resident in the UK for a minimum of three years you may also be entitled to assistance from the Student Loan Company. While the loans may be available to assist with fees, maintenance awards are very unusual. For further information please consult


If the page is not loading correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.