Student Funding

As a small institution we are able to offer a personalised, supportive environment and the flexibility to address individual needs in a simple and straightforward way.

It is each student’s responsibility to ensure that the Art School is aware of your learning difficulties, disability or condition in order to make the best of your time studying with us and to help us enable you to make full use of what we have to offer.

You can alert the Art School to your needs on your acceptance of a place at the school, by completing your registration form and posting it to the Art School, or emailing it to the Head of Access to Learning at Or once you are studying at the Art School, you can speak to the Head of Access to Learning, your personal progress tutor, or your Head of Department who will refer you.

Early disclosure is essential to ensure the timely provision of appropriate support.

  • All students accepted on the course will be sent the Student guide to Access to Learning, which includes the registration forms and the Disclosure and Confidentiality Form.
  • On receipt of the completed forms the Support Tutor will contact you to arrange a meeting to discuss and identify the type and level of support required and the support the Art School is in a position to offer, in the first few weeks of term.
  • Following the meeting, the Support Tutor will make an assessment of the support that is needed, which will be kept in your file for future reference. The information given will be used for the administration of academic and practical support, and any other legitimate Art School purpose.

Eligibility for support

To receive support, you must:

Be an enrolled student at the City & Guilds of London Art School.

Where appropriate, provide documentary evidence of your condition, (such as a letter from your GP or specialist).

If you have a specific learning difference such as dyslexia, you must:

Provide evidence in the form of a post-16 diagnostic assessment, in English, from an educational psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher, particularly if you are planning to apply for Government funding.


If you have never been diagnosed but feel that you need support you may still complete the registration forms and discuss your concerns with the Support Tutor.

We encourage and assist students with a recognised condition and valid supporting documentation, to apply for government funding wherever possible.

Conditions such as Dyslexia, M.E, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and many others, are recognised as eligible and students enrolled on BA or MA courses can apply for funding to assist their learning.

Students who are not eligible to apply for funding* but know that they encounter difficulties in any area of their education should make contact with Access to Learning as soon as possible so that a support plan can be developed for you.

*Foundation students, overseas students and students enrolled on diploma courses are usually not funded by Student Finance DSA – for further information on eligible study please go to


If the page is not loading correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.