Study Abroad

If you are a visa national (citizen of a country that requires a visa or entry clearance to enter the UK) and the main reason for your visit to the UK is to study on a course shorter than 6 months, you will need to apply for a Short-term Study Visa in advance.

It currently costs £97 to apply for a six month visa online. You will be granted with a multi-entry sticker in your passport which will be valid for 6 months. This means you can leave and re-enter the UK using this visa, but you must be able to show you still have studies to complete.

If you are a non-visa national (citizen of one of the 56 countries exempt from requiring a visa to enter the UK for up to 6 months, or 3 months if entering from the Republic of Ireland), you can travel to the UK without having applied for a visa in advance; and apply to enter the UK at the border as either a Standard or Short-term Study visitor. Please be aware that the website appears to indicate that you do not require a visa to enter the UK – this is misleading. Non-visa nationals coming to study for fewer than 6 months do require UK immigration permission, but can apply for this at port of entry to the UK rather than in advance of travel. If you intend to do this you will still require a letter of support from the Art School and should carry all the required supporting documents in your hand luggage so as to avoid delay on arrival. Please note that a short-term study visa issued at the port of entry to the UK (available only to non-visa nationals) is a single entry visa.



You will need to choose the following options:

  1. Reason for visit: Study
  2. Visa Type: Study (non Points-Based System)
  3. Visa Sub-type: Study-Short-term student 6 months

Please note, you cannot select the 11 month visa for any of our Study Abroad courses, as these are only applicable to English Language courses



You can:

  1. do a short course of study in the UK
  2. do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad

You cannot:

  1. work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business
  2. extend this visa
  3. bring family members with you
  4. get public funds



You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.



In order to be eligible for a Short-Term Study visa, you must:

  1. have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study
  2. have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds
  3. be able to pay for your return or onward journey



When you apply you need to provide:

  1. a current passport or other valid travel identification
  2. evidence that you can support yourself during your trip (bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months)
  3. details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  4. your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test and you’re coming to the UK for more than 6 months
  5. contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country (if you are under 18 years old)

Original documents must be provided. Any documents that are not in English or Welsh will require a certified translation.

You need a page in your passport that is blank on both sides for your visa.



You must provide proof of the letter of acceptance from us, on official headed paper, stating the course’s name, duration and cost. You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances, such as evidence of your:

  1. previous study (academic certificates, references or transcripts)
  2. English language qualifications (certificates or awards)
  3. accommodation and travel plans
  4. permission to be in the country you are applying from (if you are not a national)
  5. financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies



You can apply for a Short-term study visa here.



* Short-term study visa holders may remain in the UK for up to 30 days after the course end date, provided the total time spent in the UK does not exceed 6 months

* It is possible to study consecutive and concurrent courses using the same short-term study visa provided the total time spent in the UK does not exceed 6 months


If the page is not loading correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.