Study Abroad
Can I study abroad at City & Guilds of London Art School?

Yes, we welcome undergraduates who are studying at universities and art schools outside the UK and who would like to come and study alongside our students for up to six months.

Which undergraduate courses can I choose from?

You can join our fine art, architectural stone carving, woodcarving & gilding, cultural artefacts conservation or books & paper conservation courses, in either Year 1 or Year 2. Which year will depend on your experience and / or portfolio, and is up to our tutors.

I’m studying a different subject. Do I have to have experience of studying the specialism I am applying to?

It depends. For Fine Art, we expect you to have some experience of Fine Art or Design studies at undergraduate level before you apply. For Conservation and Carving, interest and aptitude are more important than prior study, so we accept art historians, scientists, architects, and liberal arts students for example, so long as you have completed a year of undergraduate study.

Do I have to be studying right now to be able to study abroad at the Art School?

We can sometimes accept people who are not currently studying onto our programmes, if you have relevant professional experience. We know that some of our courses are unique, and equivalent professional training does not always exist in other countries.

Can I receive credit for my course?

We provide you with a Record of Study and Achievement at the end of your studies here.

You will need to talk with your academic advisors before you apply, and ensure that your home institution will award credit for your time studying at the Art School. You and they can download a copy of the Course Handbook from our website, and we are happy to put your advisors in touch with our academic team if they have any questions.

I am looking for a summer programme, not a term time or semester course.

We have a range of introductory short courses during the summer vacation. If you wish to receive credit, please talk to your academic advisors to secure their approval before you book a summer course.

I want to study for a full academic year. Is that possible?

Students from outside the European Economic Area (EU countries, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) or Switzerland will require a Standard Visitor visa to join our courses, and the maximum time that you can study for with this visa is six months.  If you don’t need a visa to study, then a full year is possible, and you should get in touch with us to discuss your options.

When do I have to apply?

You will find our deadlines here. If you want to apply after our deadline, please get in touch as we may still be able to accept your application.

I have a question that is not answered here. What do I do?

Please email us at and we will do our best to help.


If the page is not loading correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.